Tuesday, May 02, 2006

BROKEBACK SOPRANO

Whoa was all I could say after watching this past Sundays episode of The Sopranos.

So after years of living a lie on the D.L. Fat Vito Spatafore has found a place where he can be himself. Where he can "express his true self" so to say. While hiding out from his family and fellow Cosa Nostra pals, Fat Vito has found refuge in a small town somewhere in New Hampshire.

"Can I have a stack of Johnny cakes?" He said as he heaved his 300 pound frame up to the counter at the greasy spoon.

"Tall or short?" The heavy moustached tatooed-armed waiter said.

After looking deep into the guys eyes he said, 'Tall".

Ok for those of you who don't know, the whole 'Johnny-cakes' thing was a metaphor the writers cooked up.

Back home the families are waiting for Vito's return. "So what's being done about Vito?" One wise guy asks Tony.

"To tell the truth that's none of your business", the boss says.

Is Tony going to defend a fanuck? That's what the Italians call them. Jamaicans call them 'batty men'. Here in the states it's damn near illegal to use the 'f' word anymore. So I won't disrespect them here.

Like the Mob, it is i-l-l-e-g-a-l to do those things in Jamaica. But we live in 2006 I say, hey, let 'em live, kick him out of the club - but let him live. "Nope, you are no longer a member of our social club buddy", is what I'd tell him. Killing somebody for their choice of lifestyle is a bit Stone Age, no?

My favorite character Silvio Dante said it best: "Tone, are you gonna be able to kiss this guy on both cheeks if he comes back?'

I know what your thinking...they're born that way...I don't doubt that many are, but a whole lot of people are choosing that lifestyle. When I was younger (and crazier) I subscribed to the whole 'put 'em on an island with a chain-link fence thing. Now that I'm older (and not as crazy) I know that that is stupid. So long as they don't disrespect me I don't care what they do.

No comments: