Friday, May 18, 2007

Didn't see it coming

There were just certain things that I knew were going to happen on my favorite TV shows this season.

Let’s start with ‘The Sopranos’, I just knew that Chris was going to get caught up with drugs and dealing with the two Arab guys that had been coming around buying weapons, that he’d get busted for it, and then turn rat for the Feds.
Damn, was I wrong…

I didn’t see that coming.

Nor did I see Melinda Doolittle losing to one of
the weakest and weirdest American Idol contestants yet.

I didn’t see that coming.

The problem with American Idol isn’t a matter of racial conspiracies or a flawed voting system. No, it’s none of that. It’s a flawed American youth culture.

What we’re seeing are a bunch of 13-18 year-olds who have every access to modern technology, but sorely lacking in judgment. We’re seeing kids who basically don’t know how to judge talent based on the necessary components that come with it: craftsmanship, skill level, technical ability and originality. When you see a talented singer like Melinda voted off, you have to wonder.

No comments: